Canada to impose retaliatory tariffs on US imports after trade talks collapse
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that Canada will impose tariffs on certain US imports in response to new 50 percent tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The move follows the collapse of trade talks between the two neighbouring countries. Carney said at a press conference in Ottawa that Canada will answer Washington's measures on a dollar-for-dollar basis. He said the response is intended to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families and businesses. The US tariffs were described as targeting a wide range of sectors, including furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing equipment and hockey gear. The measures cover around... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
Canada to retaliate as US tariff dispute widens over steel, dairy and electronics
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on imports from the United States starting on 8 September. The measures will target US steel, dairy, electronics and other products, after Washington raised tariffs on about $20bn worth of Canadian goods. Carney said the Canadian response would match the US action dollar for dollar and would be aimed at protecting workers, farmers, families and businesses.The announcement came after negotiations broke down late on Friday, ending several days of talks that had initially shown signs of progress. Carney said the new US terms were uneconomic and unfair,... [Continue Reading]
Trump pauses 50% Canada tariffs for three days as trade deal nears
The United States has paused planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days after the two countries said they had reached an agreement in principle, pending final documents. The move came just hours before the duties were due to take effect, avoiding an immediate escalation in a dispute that had been building for weeks. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said substantial progress had been made, while also stressing that more work remained.Trump said in a social media post that the pause was based on the fact that Canada and the United States, subject to the finalisation of documents, had... [Continue Reading]
