US imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods after trade talks fail

US imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods after trade talks fail

The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on about $20bn worth of Canadian goods after trade talks in Washington, DC failed to produce a deal. The move came after three days of negotiations and followed the expiry of a deadline set by President Donald Trump at 12:01am Eastern Time on Saturday. Canada said it would respond with retaliatory tariffs on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa would match the new tariffs and described recent progress in talks as insufficient to meet Canada's objectives. He said his government would introduce new measures in the coming days to support workers and businesses affected by the dispute. US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer blamed Canada for the breakdown, saying it was a missed opportunity to partner with the United States.

The tariffs are expected to affect about 5% of Canadian exports to the US, including electronics, industrial machinery and dairy products. They add to existing US tariffs on steel, lumber and autos, deepening a trade dispute that has already prompted countermeasures from Ottawa. The latest step raises the risk of further disruption for businesses on both sides of the border, particularly in sectors tied closely to cross-border supply chains.

The escalation matters because the US and Canada are among each other's largest trading partners, and tariff changes can quickly affect prices, investment decisions and industrial planning. The dispute also carries political weight because it comes after months of shifting tariff threats from the Trump administration. Trump had previously accused Canada of discriminatory treatment of American products, and his administration announced the tariffs in July.

Shopify_Landscape

Sponsored

The two countries have been in a cycle of tariff action and retaliation since Trump imposed duties on key imports from Canada early in his second term last year. Ottawa responded with countermeasures, and the latest breakdown suggests that the trade relationship remains vulnerable to further escalation. Carney's statement indicates that Canada is preparing both retaliation and domestic support measures, while Washington has signalled that it sees the failure as the result of Canadian resistance to the terms on offer.

What remains unclear is whether the new tariffs will lead to a renewed round of talks or a broader trade confrontation. It is also not yet clear how quickly Canada's retaliatory measures will be introduced or which sectors they will target. For now, businesses in both countries are facing a new period of uncertainty as officials weigh their next steps.

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 22 Aug 2026 06:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage