Explosion reported at school in Kabul's Dasht-e-Barchi district

Explosion reported at school in Kabul's Dasht-e-Barchi district

An explosion has been reported at a school in western Kabul, with several students said to have been injured. The blast was reported in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood on Monday afternoon, according to the supplied material. The cause has not been independently confirmed in the rows provided, and officials had not commented at the time of publication.

TradingView Landscape

Sponsored

The incident was reported at around 4:30pm local time, or 12:00pm GMT, near the end of the school day. The school named in the supplied material is the private Shama-e Hidayat school and educational institution in the Mahdia neighbourhood. Eyewitnesses said several students were transferred to Alami Hospital, while the number of injured people remained unconfirmed.

The supplied rows do not confirm whether anyone was killed. They also do not provide a final casualty count, and the exact cause of the blast remains unclear. Reports cited in the material said the explosion may have been caused by a hand grenade, but that account has not been verified in the supplied text.

Footage described in the rows showed crowds gathering near ambulances at the scene. The reported blast comes against the backdrop of repeated attacks in Afghanistan's Hazara-majority areas, including Dasht-e-Barchi, which is predominantly home to the Hazara minority. The supplied material notes that Islamic State in Khorasan Province has previously carried out attacks against Hazara communities, as well as against mosques, schools and workplaces.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

That history gives added significance to any attack or explosion affecting a school in the district, even though responsibility has not been established here. The rows also indicate that the Taliban government had not commented when the reports were published. That leaves key questions unanswered, including whether the explosion was deliberate, what device was involved, and how many students were hurt.

The immediate focus is likely to remain on hospital treatment, verification of the casualty figures and any official statement from local authorities. Further reporting will be needed to establish the cause and whether the incident was an attack or an accident. For now, the confirmed facts are limited to the location, timing and reports of injuries among students at the school.

The broader security context in Kabul's western districts means any confirmed attack there will be closely watched for signs of motive and possible attribution. The next developments will depend on whether officials release details and whether hospitals provide a clearer account of the injured. Until then, the incident remains an unconfirmed explosion with several reported casualties.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 17 Aug 2026 19:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage