Vessel struck by unknown projectile in Strait of Hormuz, one casualty reported

Vessel struck by unknown projectile in Strait of Hormuz, one casualty reported

A vessel has been struck by an unknown projectile while transiting the Strait of Hormuz, leaving one crew member dead or injured, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations. The incident damaged the ship's engine room and prompted assistance from the Omani coastguard, which was helping the remaining crew. Authorities are now investigating what caused the strike and who was responsible.

Shopify_Landscape

Sponsored

The report said the vessel's company security officer alerted UKMTO early on Tuesday. UKMTO said no environmental impact had been reported at the time of its statement. It also advised ships passing through the strait to exercise caution and to report any suspicious activity.

The exact time of the strike was not given in the report, but the incident was described as taking place while the vessel was transiting the waterway. The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most sensitive shipping routes, and the latest incident adds to already severe disruption in the area. The report said daily vessel crossings are in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the war on Iran began.

It also said tensions over control of the waterway remain high, with shipping still affected by the wider conflict and by repeated attacks on commercial vessels. The incident matters because the strait is a critical passage for global maritime trade and energy flows. Any attack on a commercial vessel there can quickly raise insurance costs, delay shipments and increase the risk of wider escalation.

TradingView Landscape

Sponsored

The report also said a memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran aimed at easing hostilities and reopening the waterway expired on Monday, adding to uncertainty over future navigation arrangements. The same report said Iran effectively blocked the strait after the war began on February 28 and has frequently attacked commercial ships since then. It also said Iran wants to charge users for passage, while Iran and Oman continue separate talks on future navigation arrangements through the strait.

Those details underline how the waterway has become part of a broader political and security dispute rather than a routine shipping lane. What remains unclear is the identity of the vessel, the nature of the projectile and whether the casualty was fatal or non-fatal. It is also not yet known who carried out the strike or whether it was linked to the wider regional conflict.

The key developments to watch are the outcome of the investigation, any further disruption to shipping and whether regional talks produce any practical arrangement for safe passage.

TradingView Landscape

Sponsored

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 18 Aug 2026 08:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage