Qatar repatriates Iranian pilot's remains amid dispute over missing aircrew
Qatar said an Iranian delegation travelled to Doha and collected the remains of one of the pilots linked to the March shootdown, while continuing to reject Tehran's claim that three others are being held in the country. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari said the body was repatriated and that a funeral had taken place. He also said Qatar had invited Iran to send a technical team to review the search-and-rescue operation, but that Tehran had not responded.
Sponsored
Al Ansari described Iran's allegations as false and illogical, and said Qatar remained open to a technical review. He said there was no need for media speculation and suggested the accusations were aimed at a domestic audience. Qatar also disputed an earlier Iranian claim that it had blocked a fact-finding team from entering the country, saying its invitation remained open.
The exchange follows Tehran's statement that it would consider the three missing pilots to be prisoners until Qatar clarified their situation. The dispute is tied to the 2 March incident in which Iranian military aircraft entered Qatari airspace during the early days of the war that began after US-Israeli strikes on Iran on 28 February. Qatar says the aircraft threatened people in the country and were dealt with after violating its sovereignty.
Iran has said the aircraft were taking part in an operation targeting Al Udeid Air Base, while Qatar says it acted in line with the law after the planes entered its airspace. The case now sits at the intersection of military accountability, sovereignty and competing wartime narratives. The issue has also taken on a humanitarian and diplomatic dimension because it concerns the status of missing aircrew and the handling of remains after a cross-border military incident.
Sponsored
Iran's Foreign Ministry has said it will pursue the matter through bilateral, international and legal channels. An Iranian military official had earlier called on the International Committee of the Red Cross to intervene, adding pressure for an independent role in the dispute. Qatar, meanwhile, has framed the matter as one of search operations and lawful response rather than detention.
The row comes against a wider backdrop of tension in the Gulf, including the attack on Al Udeid, which hosts US Central Command personnel. Qatar's defence ministry said in early March that it shot down two Sukhoi Su-24 bombers, describing it as the first time a Gulf state had downed Iranian aircraft during the war. That broader conflict later eased after an April ceasefire, but the aircrew dispute has remained unresolved and politically sensitive.
What remains unclear is whether Iran will accept Qatar's invitation for a technical review or continue to press its case through international bodies. It is also not clear from the available information whether the three men named by Tehran are alive, detained or otherwise accounted for. For now, both governments are maintaining sharply different accounts of the same incident, and the matter is likely to remain part of the wider Qatar-Iran diplomatic file.
Qatar has denied Iranian accusations that it is holding three military pilots who allegedly survived wartime aircraft crashes. The dispute centres on aircraft Iran says went down in March during the conflict, with Doha saying the planes violated its sovereignty and were handled in line with the law. Qatar's foreign ministry spokesman, Majed al-Ansari, said the claims were completely baseless, false and illogical.
Sponsored
Al-Ansari said at a news conference on Tuesday that Qatar had already handed over the remains of one pilot to an Iranian delegation after they were found last April. He also said Doha had invited Iran to send a technical team to review the search operations, but that Tehran did not respond. According to the Iranian account cited in the row, General Mohammad Bagherzadeh wrote to the International Committee of the Red Cross claiming that three pilots - Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian and Omran Behraveshian - survived the crashes and had been held for six months without communication.
The exchange adds a diplomatic layer to an already sensitive military episode. Qatar said the aircraft were targeted after entering its airspace, and al-Ansari said the country would defend its people, territory and sovereignty if attacked. He also described Iran's request for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps involvement as a media ploy, while stressing that Doha still prioritises diplomacy and dialogue.
The comments came after Iranian officials publicly demanded the pilots' release. The incident is significant because it touches on sovereignty, wartime conduct and the handling of alleged detainees. Qatar said the aircraft were dealt with according to law after violating its airspace and city of Doha, while Iran is seeking international humanitarian intervention through the Red Cross.
The dispute also comes against the backdrop of wider military tensions in the Gulf, including an Iranian attack on Al Udeid airbase in Qatar, which hosts US Central Command personnel. Qatar's defence ministry said in early March that it shot down two Sukhoi Su-24 bombers, which it described as the first time a Gulf state had downed Iranian aircraft during the war. The row developed amid broader Iranian retaliatory strikes across the Gulf after hostilities began on 28 February, followed by an April ceasefire that temporarily halted major combat.
A June memorandum of understanding was also mentioned in the source material, but no further details were provided. What remains unclear is whether Iran will pursue the matter further through the Red Cross or other diplomatic channels, and whether any independent review of the search operations will take place. It is also not clear from the available information whether the three men named by Iran are alive, detained, or otherwise accounted for.
For now, both sides are presenting sharply different accounts of the same wartime episode, and the dispute appears likely to remain part of the wider Qatar-Iran security and diplomatic file.


