Armed men seize tanker off Yemen and divert it toward Somalia

Armed men seize tanker off Yemen and divert it toward Somalia

A tanker has been seized in the Gulf of Aden after six armed people boarded the vessel off the coast of Yemen and took control of it, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations centre. The ship, identified as Seamull and also known as SIBU 1, was reported to be travelling westwards when it broadcast a distress call saying it was being approached by an unauthorised vessel. The incident took place about 136 nautical miles east of Yemen's Al Mukalla, placing it in a major international shipping corridor.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

UKMTO said it received confirmation that the tanker had been boarded and was being redirected toward Somalia. The organisation said authorities were investigating and advised vessels to transit with caution and report suspicious activity. It did not say whether the tanker or its crew were safe, and no further details were immediately provided.

The report was issued on Thursday, 20 August 2026. The seizure comes as shipping in the Gulf of Aden and the wider Red Sea region faces renewed security pressure. The Gulf of Aden links the Red Sea to the Suez Canal, one of the fastest maritime routes between Asia and Europe.

The route carries a significant share of global trade, including a large proportion of container traffic, making any disruption there closely watched by shipping companies and governments. The incident also fits a broader pattern of renewed Somali piracy after years of relative quiet. Piracy off Somalia was widespread in the 2000s and reached a peak in 2011 before international naval deployments and tighter commercial shipping security measures reduced attacks.

Shopify_Landscape

Sponsored

Since April, however, there has been a marked resurgence, and five cargo ships are currently being held hostage, including an oil tanker seized in July off Yemen's Hadramout province. The renewed threat has emerged while naval forces are stretched by other regional tensions, including conflicts in the Red Sea and the Strait of Hormuz. Analysts have said that this has pushed some vessels to reroute and move closer to Somali waters, increasing exposure to attack.

The latest seizure therefore raises fresh concerns for commercial shipping, insurers and naval patrols operating across one of the world's busiest sea lanes. What remains unclear is the condition of the tanker's crew, the identity of the armed group, and whether the vessel will be taken to a specific port or anchorage in Somalia. It is also not yet known whether the seizure will lead to a ransom demand or a longer hostage situation.

Further official updates are likely to focus on the ship's location, the safety of those on board and any response from maritime security forces.

TradingView Landscape

Sponsored

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 20 Aug 2026 17:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage