Taliban release two UN staff detained in Herat
Afghanistan's Taliban authorities have released two United Nations staff members who were detained in the western city of Herat earlier this month. The men were freed on Thursday morning and are understood to be in good health, according to the UN. The organisation said it is continuing to follow up on the case and on the safety of its personnel in the country.
Sponsored
The two staff members were detained on 9 August, but the UN said it was not formally notified of the reasons for their arrest and detention. It said it understands that charges against them have been dropped. UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said the organisation was "delighted" that the two had been released and that they now faced no apparent legal issues.
UNAMA, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, said it was also seeking assurances over the privileges and immunities of UN personnel and their freedom of movement throughout the country. Afghan authorities did not immediately comment on the release. The case adds to a series of detentions affecting aid and rights workers in Afghanistan, where international organisations continue to operate under Taliban rule.
The release matters because the UN remains one of the main international actors providing humanitarian support in Afghanistan. The country has faced severe economic and social pressure in recent years, including the return of millions of people from Iran and Pakistan. At the same time, aid agencies have been working in an environment shaped by restrictions, political uncertainty and repeated concerns about access and security for staff.
Sponsored
The Taliban took power in August 2021 after the withdrawal of United States and NATO forces, and relations with international organisations have remained strained since then. The UN Security Council mandate for UNAMA includes support for humanitarian assistance, human rights, equality for women and girls, inclusive governance and economic stability. Those responsibilities have become more difficult to carry out amid aid cuts and continuing disputes over the operating space for foreign and local personnel.
It remains unclear why the two men were detained in the first place and whether any formal process was opened before the charges were dropped. The UN has said it will continue discussions with the de facto authorities over the case and over broader protections for its staff. What happens next will be watched closely by aid agencies and diplomatic missions working in Afghanistan, particularly if there are further detentions or new restrictions on movement.


