Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand, injuring two

Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand, injuring two

More than 50 co-ordinated arson and incendiary attacks have been reported across Thailand's southern border provinces, with officials saying the incidents were aimed at creating unrest. The attacks took place overnight in Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani, the three provinces most affected by the country's long-running insurgency. A local government office, a convenience store, a stolen vehicle and telecom towers were among the targets set on fire.

TradingView Landscape

Sponsored

The Thai military's Internal Security Operations Command said the incidents happened between 20:00 local time on Saturday and midnight. Two people were injured, and officials said most of the attacks were reported in Narathiwat province. According to local reporting cited in the supplied material, two women were hurt when a bomb exploded in Muang district in Narathiwat.

Security officials also warned residents not to touch suspicious objects after telecommunication towers were set on fire in several locations. Authorities imposed an overnight curfew in Narathiwat province, which was lifted on Sunday morning. No further attacks had been reported by Sunday, according to the supplied material.

The incidents add to a pattern of violence in Thailand's south, where a low-level conflict has continued since 2004. More than 7,000 people have been killed in the unrest so far, and the insurgency is mainly led by the Barisan Revolusi Nasional. The attacks matter because they struck multiple civilian and government targets at once, suggesting a co-ordinated effort rather than isolated arson.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

They also come at a sensitive time for the authorities, who have been trying to manage security in a region where rebels have long sought greater autonomy. The southern border provinces are majority Muslim in a Buddhist-majority country, and the conflict has repeatedly complicated efforts to restore stability and advance talks. The peace process has been fragile for years.

Talks facilitated by Malaysia began in 2013, but they have repeatedly stalled amid changing governments in Bangkok and internal divisions on both sides. Thai media have reported that insurgents often target security officials and government buildings, sometimes ahead of official visits to the region. In July, five soldiers were killed in a gun and bomb attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat, prompting the authorities to postpone a planned dialogue process.

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and members of his cabinet are scheduled to visit Hat Yai in southern Songkhla province next week to discuss investment projects, flood prevention and security issues. It is not clear whether the latest attacks are linked to that trip, and no group has claimed responsibility. What remains to be seen is whether the incidents lead to tighter security measures, further disruption in the south, or any change in the stalled dialogue process.

Percy_landscape

Sponsored

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 23 Aug 2026 12:02 LONDON
← Back to Homepage