Iran expands claimed military control over Strait of Hormuz
Iran has said it is significantly expanding the area around the Strait of Hormuz over which it claims military control, in a move that has drawn a sharp rejection from the United Arab Emirates and renewed warnings from the United States. A map published by Iran's newly created Persian Gulf Strait Authority claims Iranian armed forces oversight across more than 22,000 sq km, extending into the territorial waters of Oman and the UAE. The strait is one of the world's most important shipping routes, making any claim over transit there closely watched by governments and shipping companies.The authority said all... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
Iranian MP says Tehran is restraining military from striking US fleet amid Gulf tensions
Political leaders in Tehran are holding back the military from launching high-intensity attacks on US naval assets in the Persian Gulf, according to an Iranian member of parliament on a key national security committee. The comments point to internal friction inside Iran's decision-making structure at a time of heightened tension over a US blockade and the risk of a naval confrontation. The lawmaker said the restraint was being applied by political authorities and traditional decision-making bodies rather than by the armed forces themselves.Ahmad Bakhshayesh Ardestani, who sits on the parliamentary National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said Iran had so... [Continue Reading]
Iran reviews latest US position as Trump renews attack threat
Iran said on Thursday it was reviewing Washington's latest position on ending the war, after US President Donald Trump said he was prepared to wait a few days to "get the right answers" from Tehran. Trump also warned that renewed attacks could follow if Iran does not agree to a deal. The comments point to a fresh round of pressure in the talks, with both sides still publicly signalling that military options remain on the table.The latest statement from Tehran confirms that the American position has been received and is under review. The new remarks from Trump add a clearer... [Continue Reading]
Iran warns of strikes beyond the Middle East if US attacks resume
Iran has warned that it could strike beyond the Middle East if the United States resumes attacks, sharpening the threat of further escalation in the confrontation between the two countries. The warning came as President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance said progress was being made toward a deal, while keeping open the possibility of renewed strikes. The latest exchange adds to a fragile and fast-moving standoff in which diplomacy and deterrence are being pursued at the same time.The immediate trigger was a statement reported on 20 May, in which Iran said any renewed US attack would be met... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
British couple in Iranian jail begin hunger strike, family says
The family of a British couple detained in Iran say the pair have begun a hunger strike in protest at their imprisonment. Lindsay and Craig Foreman, from East Sussex, were arrested in January last year while travelling through Iran on a global motorbike journey. They were later sentenced to 10 years in prison on espionage charges, which they deny.According to the family, Craig Foreman is believed to be about 12 days into a hunger strike. They say he started refusing food after phone access was cut off in early May. The family also says Lindsay Foreman, 53, briefly paused a... [Continue Reading]
Reported Israeli strike in Tehran aimed to free Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, U.S. officials say
U.S. officials said an Israeli strike in Tehran was designed to free Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from house arrest. According to the report, the operation was part of a broader effort to bring about regime change in Iran. The account says the intended outcome was to put Ahmadinejad in power.The reported strike is described as having taken place in Tehran, Iran's capital. The officials cited in the report linked the operation to a leadership-change plan rather than a limited military objective. No further operational details were provided in the supplied material, including the timing of the strike or whether it succeeded.The claim... [Continue Reading]
US and Iran trade threats as Tehran stages mass weddings for war-ready couples
President Donald Trump warned on Tuesday that the United States may strike Iran again, while Tehran's army said it could open "new fronts" if he did. At the same time, Iranian authorities held mass public weddings in the capital for couples enrolled in a state-sponsored scheme linked to readiness to sacrifice their lives in the war against the United States and Israel. The developments point to a sharp mix of military warning and domestic mobilisation in Tehran.The immediate exchange centres on a renewed threat of force from Washington and a retaliatory warning from Iran's military. The report does not give... [Continue Reading]
Europol disrupts thousands of IRGC-linked online accounts across 19 countries
Europol has announced a major digital crackdown that led to the removal of thousands of online accounts linked to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or IRGC. The operation also resulted in the suspension of the group's primary X account in the European Union. The action was described as spanning accounts across 19 countries.The confirmed details are limited, but the announcement indicates a coordinated cross-border effort against a state-linked online network. Europol said the accounts were linked to the IRGC, which is Iran's powerful military and security organisation. The suspension of the group's main X account in the EU suggests the... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
Iranian attack on cargo ship reported in Strait of Hormuz
An Iranian attack on a cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz has been reported, according to a retrospective account of the incident. The account places the episode in one of the world's most sensitive shipping lanes, where commercial traffic moves through waters that are central to global trade. The report focuses on the experience of seafarers caught up in wider international conflict at sea.The supplied material gives no operational details about the vessel, the timing of the attack, or the method used. It does not identify casualties, damage, or whether the ship was able to continue its voyage. The... [Continue Reading]
Amnesty says global executions hit 40-year high, driven by Iran
Amnesty International says the number of executions carried out worldwide rose sharply last year to its highest level in more than four decades, with Iran accounting for the bulk of the increase. The rights group said more than 2,700 people were executed globally in the period covered by its new report, and about 2,100 of those executions took place in Iran. It said the figures marked the highest annual total since 1981.The report, released on Monday, said the global total represented a 78% increase compared with 2024. Amnesty said its figures were based on reports and work carried out with... [Continue Reading]
Oil slick reaches protected Shidvar island in Iran
Tar from an oil slick has reached Shidvar island in Iran, a protected wildlife sanctuary in the Persian Gulf. Videos from the island show birds, turtles and crabs trapped inside mounds of tar along the shoreline. The contamination has affected an area known for turquoise waters and white sand beaches.The supporting material confirms that the incident was reported on 19 May 2026 and that the tar was visible around the island at that time. The island is identified as a protected sanctuary, which makes the spread of oil pollution there especially significant. No official cause for the slick is given... [Continue Reading]
Trump says he authorized new strikes on Iran but is holding off
President Donald Trump has said he authorized new strikes on Iran but decided to hold off for now, according to the supplied report. The development comes amid repeated threats of renewed military action against Iran. It points to a continuing period of uncertainty over whether the United States will resume major fighting.The report says Trump has repeatedly threatened new military action against Iran. It also says he pulled back from resuming major fighting after authorizing the strikes. No further details were supplied on the timing, the intended targets, or whether any operational orders were issued beyond the authorization itself.The report... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
Iran announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz
Iran's top security body has announced the formation of a new authority to manage the Strait of Hormuz, a waterway that carries a large share of global oil and gas shipments. The announcement was made on Monday and was shared on the official account of the Supreme National Security Council. The new body is called the Persian Gulf Strait Authority, or PGSA, and it is intended to oversee operations in the strait.According to the announcement, the PGSA will provide real-time updates on developments in the Strait of Hormuz. The move comes amid reporting that Tehran has effectively closed the waterway... [Continue Reading]
London court hears stabbing of journalist Pouria Zeraati was ordered on behalf of Iran
A London court has heard that the stabbing of journalist Pouria Zeraati in Wimbledon was a planned attack ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state. Two Romanian men, George Stana, 25, and Nandito Badea, 21, are on trial at Woolwich Crown Court over the assault, which prosecutors say left Zeraati with three stab wounds in his leg. The case centres on an attack in late March 2024 near his home in south-west London.Prosecutor Duncan Atkinson KC told the jury the violence was not a random assault or robbery, but a targeted operation preceded by reconnaissance.... [Continue Reading]
Pakistan relays fresh Iranian peace proposal to the United States
Pakistan has conveyed a new Iranian peace proposal to the United States as efforts to stabilise the Middle East war continue to stall. The proposal was passed on through Islamabad, which has been carrying messages between Tehran and Washington since hosting the only round of peace talks last month. The latest exchange comes as a fragile ceasefire remains in place after six weeks of war following US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran.A Pakistani source said the sides were still struggling to narrow their differences and warned that time was short. The source said the two sides "keep changing their goalposts", adding: "We... [Continue Reading]
Iran says it has responded to latest US peace proposal as talks continue through Pakistani mediator
Iran says it has responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, with exchanges continuing through a Pakistani mediator. The development comes as Washington and Tehran continue a negotiation process that has so far produced only one round of talks and has taken place under a fragile ceasefire in force since 8 April. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said the concerns of the Iranian side had been conveyed to the American side, but he did not give details of the reply.Baqaei said the discussions were still under way through the Pakistani mediator, indicating that the two sides... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
US-Iran truce under strain as talks stall and attacks continue
Washington and Tehran are exchanging proposals in an effort to end the conflict that broke out on 28 February, but the diplomatic track remains stalled. The two sides have held only one round of talks so far, and the fragile ceasefire in place since 8 April is under renewed pressure. The latest strain follows a likely-Iranian attack near a power plant in the United Arab Emirates, according to the supplied material.The confirmed details point to a continuing cycle of proposals and counter-proposals rather than a breakthrough. The material says Iran has responded to a new US proposal, while talks are... [Continue Reading]
Iranian attacks disrupt Qatar's gas exports and economic plans
Iranian attacks have disrupted Qatar's vital gas exports, according to the supplied material, and are also stalling the country's planned shift towards tourism and business-led growth. The incident is described as part of a wider war involving Iran, with immediate effects centred on Qatar's economy. The available information says the impact is severe enough to be described as paralyzing a key export sector.The confirmed detail in the source material is limited but clear: Qatar's gas exports are being affected, and the country's future growth strategy is under pressure. The report links the disruption to Iranian attacks and says the damage... [Continue Reading]
U.S. arrest of Mohammad al-Saadi raises concern over Iran proxy activity beyond Middle East
The arrest of Mohammad al-Saadi in the United States on Friday has prompted concern that Iran could be working with proxy groups to stage attacks outside the Middle East. The development has drawn attention because it suggests the issue may extend beyond the regional arena where Iran-linked activity is more commonly discussed. No further details about the arrest were provided in the supplied material.The confirmed information is limited to the fact of the arrest and the concern it has triggered. The arrest took place in the United States, and the timing was Friday, 16 May 2026. The supplied material does... [Continue Reading]
U.S. commander says Iran school strike may be only civilian casualty incident
A top U.S. commander has said a strike on an Iranian school may have been the only civilian casualty incident in the war, pushing back against reports of wider civilian deaths.Adm.Brad Cooper made the comment in relation to the ongoing strike campaign involving Iran.The supplied material does not give further details on the location of the school, the timing of the strike, or any casualty figures.The statement is significant because it directly addresses claims about civilian harm during the conflict.It also suggests that, at least in the view of the commander, reported civilian deaths may be more limited than some... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
Iran allows some Chinese ships through Strait of Hormuz after Beijing outreach
Iranian news agencies said some Chinese ships were being allowed through the Strait of Hormuz after diplomatic outreach from Beijing.The development was reported amid rising tensions in the waterway following a vessel seizure.The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important shipping routes, linking the Gulf to the Arabian Sea.Any disruption there can affect commercial traffic well beyond the region.The reported move suggests a limited easing for some vessels, but the available information does not say how many ships were involved or whether the arrangement applies to other countries' shipping.No casualties or damage were reported in the row... [Continue Reading]
The Mirage of the Umbrella: The Shifting Sands of the U.S.-Israel-GCC Alliance
As I sat in a recent debate at the historic Carlton Club in London, listening to Faisal Abbas, the Editor-in-Chief of Arab News, I felt a tangible shift in the room, not because a new fact had been revealed, but because an old illusion had finally lost its last breath. The old-world order has not merely changed, it has evaporated, leaving the Gulf to realize it is no longer watching a distant fire from the safety of marble towers and air-conditioned ministries, but is instead standing directly inside the smoke. The GCC today is caught in a lethal crossfire between... [Continue Reading]
The Glass Elevator to Nowhere: A World Trapped in a Chocolate Factory
As a journalist in my mid-fifties, I thought my skin had thickened to the point of being impenetrable. I have covered the rise and fall of regimes, the grinding gears of the Cold War's leftovers, and the digital revolutions that promised to unite us. I thought I had seen every trick in the political playbook. Then came Donald Trump’s 2026 foreign policy, and I realized I was not watching a statesman; I was watching a child play with a chemistry set he does not understand. The Willy Wonka of the West: Rule by Whim Walking into a press briefing lately... [Continue Reading]
When Deterrence Becomes Reality
Yesterday the war crossed a line! For years the Sejjil ballistic missile existed mostly as a symbol. A weapon paraded in military videos, discussed in defense briefings, whispered about in strategic circles as one of Iran’s most serious capabilities. A weapon that analysts described as deterrence, not something meant to be used. But on March 15, 2026, that line disappeared. Iran reportedly launched the Sejjil (also known as Ashoura) as part of what Tehran called the 54th wave of Operation True Promise 4, a massive strike package that also included the Fattah hypersonic missile and the Qadr ballistic missile system.... [Continue Reading]
Sponsored
The Madness of Power, From Balfour to the Edge of World War Three
A Voice in the Wilderness of War: Who Still Dares to Speak Truth While Empires March There are moments in history when the world suddenly accelerates toward disaster, moments when anyone who has studied history can feel the temperature rising even before the explosions reach their peak. The current escalation in the Middle East is one of those moments. According to the facts we now see unfolding, the United States and Israel made the unilateral decision to attack Iran without the approval of the United Nations, without a global coalition mandate, and without the support of most of the international... [Continue Reading]
The Proving Ground, When “Decent” Reporting Meets High-Tech Warfare
For two decades I have watched wars unfold not only on battlefields, but on screens. Today’s incident over Kuwait, involving the downing of a U.S. F-15 Strike Eagle, is not just another headline in the Iran conflict. It may be a signal that something larger is unfolding behind the noise. Iranian state outlets rapidly circulated imagery of an ejected pilot. Washington responded cautiously. But beneath the spectacle lies a deeper question, whose technology was truly being tested? The Gulf as a live-fire laboratory For years, China has refined export-ready variants of its air defense systems, particularly the HQ-9 family and... [Continue Reading]
Shadows of Fire: The Long Arc of Iran–United States Tensions
A Region on Edge: The Latest Escalation In recent months, tensions between Iran and the United States have intensified once again, fueled by disputes over regional security, nuclear development, maritime incidents in the Persian Gulf, and the broader strategic balance in the Middle East. Officials in Washington have expressed renewed concern over Iran’s uranium enrichment levels, while leaders in Tehran have accused the United States of economic warfare through sanctions and diplomatic isolation. The fragile equilibrium that followed earlier rounds of indirect negotiations appears increasingly strained, with both sides engaging in sharp rhetoric at the United Nations, reinforcing military postures... [Continue Reading]



