Australia's ASIO faces scrutiny over Hanukkah risk assessment before Bondi attack

Australia's ASIO faces scrutiny over Hanukkah risk assessment before Bondi attack

Australia's domestic intelligence agency is facing fresh scrutiny over what it knew before the Bondi Beach attack and how that information was used to plan security for Hanukkah events. A holiday threat assessment circulated to police and government agencies before the attack warned that religious festivals could be targeted, but did not single out elevated risks to Hanukkah celebrations. The issue is expected to be examined at royal commission hearings next week.

Shopify_Landscape

Sponsored

The assessment was issued on 2 December, less than two weeks before the attack at Bondi Beach on 14 December, in which 15 people were killed. It said violent protests were more likely, while also warning that terrorists could target religious festivals such as Christmas and Hanukkah. However, it did not identify a distinct heightened threat to Hanukkah events, despite earlier warnings from a Jewish security organisation about the Chanukah by the Sea gathering at Bondi.

The report says police and government agencies relied on the annual holiday threat assessment to guide security planning for major events in December and January. NSW Police assigned only four officers to periodically monitor Chanukah by the Sea, despite requests from the Community Security Group for a permanent police presence. The same organisation had warned police days earlier about a heightened risk of a terrorist attack at Hanukkah celebrations, including the Bondi event.

The matter matters because it goes to the heart of how intelligence warnings are translated into operational security. ASIO had previously described antisemitism as a top threat to life, and the royal commission is expected to ask whether the agency understood and acted on its own assessments of likely terrorist violence. The hearings are also likely to examine whether police preparations matched the level of risk around a major Jewish festival in a public setting.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

The Bondi attack has already prompted wider questions about the relationship between intelligence assessments, police deployment and protection of religious communities. The commission's next phase of public hearings is due to begin on Monday, with ASIO director-general Mike Burgess and police expected to be questioned. According to the material supplied, the commission will look at security preparations for Hanukkah events as part of its review of the attack.

What remains unclear is how much weight was given to the Community Security Group's warning before the attack, and whether different security decisions might have changed the outcome. It is also not yet clear what evidence ASIO and police will present to explain their planning choices. The hearings are expected to test whether the intelligence picture was incomplete, whether it was acted on, or whether the operational response fell short of the warnings available at the time.

Duffle Travel Bag-Land

Sponsored

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 22 May 2026 21:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage