Iran reacts cautiously as Mecca defence pact expands to include Turkiye
Iran has responded cautiously to a new mutual defence pact signed in Mecca by Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Turkiye, with officials stressing Muslim unity and a reduced reliance on the United States. The agreement says an armed attack on one of the three countries will be treated as an attack on all, raising questions about how the arrangement could affect regional security. Iranian officials have not described the pact as an immediate threat, but the development has drawn attention in Tehran because of its possible longer-term implications.
Sponsored
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that when Muslims stand together, they can face challenges from hostile outsiders together. He added that it was time to rely only on themselves and embrace true brotherhood, without directly naming the agreement. Analysts cited in the supporting material said the reaction in Tehran has been subdued so far, with officials focusing on the broader issue of what they see as a declining US security role in the region.
The pact was announced more than five months after the US and Israel launched a bombing campaign against Iran, a conflict that quickly spread to the Gulf and disrupted maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. The timing has added to the significance of the agreement, even though the three signatories have said it is not targeted at any specific country and does not replace existing agreements with others. The arrangement also comes after months in which Saudi Arabia has faced attacks from Iran-aligned Houthis in Yemen and armed groups in neighbouring Iraq.
The Mecca agreement is important because it points to a possible shift in regional security architecture at a time when states are reassessing their defence ties. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Turkiye have been careful to present the pact as a broad framework for cooperation rather than a direct response to Iran. Even so, the mutual-defence language gives the deal symbolic weight and could strengthen deterrence among the signatories, while also signalling that regional powers are seeking alternatives to dependence on outside security guarantees.
Sponsored
The supporting material says the three countries spent years negotiating the arrangement and have already been deepening defence ties through training, technical assistance and military technology. It also notes that Saudi Arabia agreed in 2023 to buy Turkish drones, which Ankara described as its largest defence export contract. That suggests the new pact builds on an existing security relationship rather than creating one from scratch, and that military cooperation has been widening gradually across several channels.
For Iran, the immediate concern appears to be less about direct confrontation and more about the possibility of coordinated pressure in the future. A researcher cited in the material said the timing matters because the agreement follows a period of conflict in which Saudi Arabia has faced attacks linked to Iran-aligned groups. The same analysis suggested the pact could eventually affect Iran not only through deterrence, but also through regional theatres such as Yemen and Iraq, and potentially through economic pressure.
What remains unclear is how the agreement would work in practice if one of the signatories were attacked, or if support were requested short of direct military intervention. It is also not yet known how quickly the planned political and military committees, secretariat and any joint exercises will be established. The key issue to watch is whether the pact develops into a concrete security framework or remains mainly a political signal of closer alignment among the three states.
Turkiye has said a new defence pact signed with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is not directed at Iran, even though the agreement contains an Article 5-style mutual-defence clause. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Saturday that the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement does not identify Iran, or any other country, as a common threat. He added that countries which do not attack the signatories would not be considered targets.
Sponsored
The agreement was signed on Friday by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. It states that an armed attack on one of the three countries would be treated as an attack on all three. Fidan said the response would depend on the circumstances and that a country under attack would have to request assistance and specify what kind of support it needed, ranging from intelligence and logistics to ammunition or the deployment of military units.
The pact will also create political and military committees, bringing together foreign and defence ministers and military chiefs, as well as a secretariat in Saudi Arabia. Fidan said the three countries would work on joint training, intelligence sharing, logistics, threat assessments and military interoperability. He also said defence-industry cooperation would be an important part of the arrangement, and that preparations for the agreement had been under way for nearly two years and eight months.
The clarification matters because the deal has already drawn scrutiny over its possible implications for regional security and for Tehran's response. The mutual-defence language gives the agreement symbolic weight, but the Turkish minister's comments suggest its practical operation is still being defined. That leaves open questions about how quickly the three governments could coordinate in a crisis and what level of military support would actually be available.
The pact was concluded in Mecca, giving it added political and religious significance, and it comes at a time of wider regional tension. The supporting material says Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Pakistan have been deepening defence ties for some time, including cooperation on training, technical assistance and military technology. It also notes that Saudi Arabia agreed in 2023 to buy Turkish drones, which Ankara described as its largest defence export contract, showing that the latest agreement builds on an existing security relationship rather than starting from scratch.
What remains unclear is how the alliance would operate in practice, especially if one signatory sought support short of direct military intervention. It is also not yet known whether the three governments will announce further details on the secretariat, the committees or any joint exercises. The main issue to watch is whether the pact becomes a concrete security framework or remains primarily a political signal of closer alignment.
#Iran #SaudiArabia #Pakistan #Turkiye #Mecca #AbbasAraghchi #mutualdefencepact #regionalsecurity

