Russia says any Ukraine peace plan must reflect realities on the ground

Russia says any Ukraine peace plan must reflect realities on the ground

Russia has said it is open to hearing new proposals for ending the war in Ukraine, but only if they reflect what Moscow calls the realities on the ground. The comments came from Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov in an interview published on Friday. He said any settlement ideas would need to align with the goals set by the Russian president.

Shopify_Landscape

Sponsored

Ryabkov said the United States had shown a readiness for constructive dialogue and an understanding of Russia's position. He also said Moscow was ready to listen to any reasonable proposals and ideas that fit its aims. At the same time, he suggested the key question was whether Washington could influence decisions in Kyiv and among European governments that still, in his words, hope for Russia's strategic defeat.

The remarks come as negotiations between Russia and the United States on ending the conflict have largely stalled. The Kremlin said on Thursday it had no information about a possible next visit to Moscow by US presidential envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, who have previously led talks with Russia. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last month that Washington remained committed to helping end the war, but warned there was no quick deal and that the US was trying to find a middle ground.

The diplomatic exchange matters because the war has now lasted almost four and a half years, and Russia continues to hold around a fifth of Ukraine's internationally recognised territory. Moscow has repeatedly said it is open to talks, but only on terms that recognise what it describes as new realities on the ground. That position remains a central obstacle in efforts to build any ceasefire or broader settlement.

Orovi_landscape

Sponsored

Ryabkov also used the interview to signal that Moscow wants to keep discussions with Washington on nuclear weapons. The New START treaty expired in February, leaving the two largest nuclear powers without binding limits on their strategic arsenals for the first time in more than half a century. Russia has said it will continue observing the treaty's missile and warhead limits as long as the United States does the same.

What remains unclear is whether the latest Russian comments will lead to any renewed diplomatic movement or simply restate long-held positions. It is also not known when, or if, the next round of US-Russia contacts on Ukraine will take place. For now, the focus remains on whether Washington can bridge the gap between Kyiv and Moscow, and whether either side is prepared to shift its terms.

360LiveNews 360LiveNews | 21 Aug 2026 08:00 LONDON
← Back to Homepage