Fourteen killed in air strike on Myanmar monastery in Sagaing region
Fourteen people were killed in military air strikes on a monastery in Myanmar's central Sagaing region, according to opposition fighters and a local rescue worker. The attack took place in Myaung township, about 70km west of Mandalay, at around 09:00 local time on Friday. Civilians had gathered at the site for a meditation retreat to mark Buddhist Lent, and monks were among those injured.
Sponsored
A rescue worker said the monastery was struck twice. He told BBC Burmese that all of those killed were elderly, while a pro-democracy rebel told AFP that the dead included 11 men and three women. The same account said five of the victims were from one village and nine from a neighbouring township.
Another opposition fighter said aircraft returned while people were trying to rescue survivors. The victims were reported to be aged between 50 and 70. The attack has added to concerns about the impact of Myanmar's civil war on civilians in areas where the military and anti-junta forces continue to fight.
Myanmar's military has not commented on the strike. The military has previously said it only targets legitimate objectives, despite repeated accusations that it has hit public buildings and civilian sites. Sagaing region has been one of the areas most affected by the conflict since the 2021 coup that removed Aung San Suu Kyi and brought the military to power.
Sponsored
The region lies near Mandalay and has seen repeated fighting between the armed forces and pro-democracy resistance groups. Monasteries and other religious sites can also serve as gathering places in rural communities, which can increase the risk to civilians when fighting reaches them. The strike is significant because it involved a religious site during a Buddhist Lent retreat and caused multiple civilian deaths.
It also comes against the backdrop of a long-running war in which the military faces persistent accusations over air strikes in populated areas. The lack of any immediate comment from the armed forces leaves key details unconfirmed, including the intended target and whether the site was being monitored before the attack. What remains unclear is whether the military will acknowledge the strike or provide its own account of the incident.
It is also not known whether the number of injured monks will rise or whether more victims may be found. Further reporting will focus on the condition of the wounded, the identities of those killed and any response from the authorities or opposition groups.
#Myanmar #Sagaingregion #Myaungtownship #monasterystrike #civiliancasualties
Sponsored


